If mold is left untreated, in any room, but in a bathroom, mold can become a health hazard. In any room with constant moisture or a leak and the right conditions present, mold can thrive. Ignoring the situation may escalate and you should turn to a professional mold removal company to make your home inhabitable again.
If a small amount of mold is already present in your bathrooms, you may be able to remove with household products. Some people have successively treated bathroom mold using vinegar, Borax, baking soda, bleach, and ammonia. Be careful when using these chemicals as mixing them can be dangerous. Also, breathing in the fumes or getting the substances on your skin can also cause harm. If you decided to take matters into your own hands, make sure you take proper safety precautions before beginning. If you have a problem area bigger than 10 square feet, refer to guidelines from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or call in a Blue River Restoration.
Prevent mold from getting worse by thoroughly drying areas where spores have started to develop. Make sure you have the fan running in the bathroom during and after showers. This will keep the area from becoming humid, which is mold’s favorite environment. If there is a leak in the shower, near the sink or by pipes, repair this area as quickly as possible. Addressing the source of moisture and providing ventilation are critical steps for stopping these spores.
Here are some steps to take for a small, do it yourself mold cleanup:
- Strip away and replace any caulking or sealant that has mold growth.
- Clean your bathroom with mold-killing products, such as bleach, vinegar, or hydrogen peroxide. Just don’t mix those products; mixing can cause toxic reactions.
- Open windows and doors while cleaning to provide fresh air and help dry out the mold.
- Always run a fan when using the shower, this helps keep the humidity down.