Mold can be one of the most disgusting problems a homeowner might come across. Here are 5 tips for the DIY homeowners looking to get the job done correctly but who need to know when to contact Blue River for the expert knowledge.
1) Items that are made from non-porous materials such as metal, tile, or glass can be cleaned using a borax cleaning solution and will be relatively easy for the most part. Cleaning porous materials, on the other hand, is not as easy and should be done by a professional. Materials such as wood, drywall, carpeting or insulation fall under this category.
2) No matter how small or large of a mold problem there is, do not ignore the health concerns. Mold can cause ongoing itchy eye, bloody nose, sinus problems, headaches, nose congestion, skin rashes or sores, coughing, breathing difficulties, difficulty in remembering things or in thinking clearly, feeling disconnected from the world around you and/or chronic fatigue. Mold can affect younger or elder more with weaker immune systems. Getting the mold levels checks, not just in the noticed area, but in the entire structure will be beneficial.
3) Mold does not always have to be visible. Once a visible or noticeable area is found, the best thing to do is to assume there are more areas affected. The health problems from tip #2 can continue to linger on if other areas are affected and the structure is not professional examined. Just cleaning the noticed area may only be a temporary fix.
4) Not just any cleaning product will kill mold. A cleaning product not designed to kill mold can spread or make it stronger. Bleach is a common substance used to try and clean mold, but in reality, bleach will feed the mold majority of the time. Beach will kill live mold, but it does not kill or remove all mold spores embedded in semi-porous items such as drywall, wood, or cardboard.
5) Just because the mold looks dry, does not mean it is or that it is safe. In the instance that it is still wet, using a fan is a terrible option. Using a fan will spread the mold and bring the particles airborne which is easy to breathe in. Thus, making the mold even more dormant.
When in doubt, call a professional. Blue River Restoration has the experience and knowledge to get your structure mold free.